Musings about things that interest a "Geezer Gadget Geek" who also happens to enjoy some of the finer things in life that liberty in a free country makes possible.

Monday, June 1, 2009

The HP-50G

I've been a HP Calculator fan since 1979 when I purchased my first HP, the HP-41C. No surprise there, eh? Well, 30 years have passed since then and the state of the art in advanced calculators is now the HP-50G. (I've actually owned mine since 2006.)

Powered by the ARM9 processor, and running at a nominal 75 MHz clock speed, this advanced, battery-powered handheld computer offers a number of features that make it very useful. It offers algebraic or RPN entry of mathematical formulas and other object types, a highly advanced computer algebra system (aka "CAS"), ARM and Saturn processor development tools, a huge equation library, and some very powerful applications like the Equation Writer and the Matrix Editor. It can be programmed in UserRPL, SystemRPL, ARM assembler, Saturn assembler, LUA, and in C with the very powerful HPGCC toolkit. I am working on adding ARM zForth to the list as well.

I'm also looking forward to attending the HHC 2009 conference on October 3rd and 4th this year in Vancouver, Washington. I hope to ride Amtrak with my good friend Tom Vogel there and back. (Tom wants to visit his daughter Dawn, who lives in nearby Seattle.)

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Hillsboro, Missouri, United States


I am a netizen of the world. I enjoy fresh air, fine wines, rural scenery, classical music, eBooks, and interacting with the other netizens of the world.

I look forward every day to waking up, writing code, and learning new things.